Monday, June 9, 2008

Pacuare River

Saturday, May 31, we went rafting on the Pacuare River. We left that morning around 6:30 am and didn't get back to Veritas until around 6 pm. My guide on the bus and on the raft was Ricky. He was a really fun guide and liked to play jokes on us. I was the target on my boat. He pulled me off the raft a few times; it was really funny. The scenery was beautiful and I wish I had a waterproof camera.
There were some class 3 and class 4 rapids and the rest were 1 and 2. There were a lot of people who fell off the rafts. There was a big scare when two rafts got pushed together and everyone on both rafts fell off. One of the girls (not from Miami) got stuck under the water and was in shock when she finally got some air. She had to ride in my raft, sitting on the floor, holding onto a rope. No one in my boat fail out besides Steph, but we aren't counting that because she had to switch from the right side to the left side when we had to take on the girl and she only fell out for a second.
We saw indigenous people who get their food from a line that goes across the river with a basket attached to it. We went under a lot of abandoned bridges; some of them were abandoned because of the earthquake that was in the early 90s that destroyed the train tracks and plans for an electrical company (?) to move across the river. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones movies.
I had such a great time and even a sunburn on my thighs and shoulders (I wore sun screen).

No comments: